Recently Governor Rick Perry was in Houston, Texas for a round of book signing. He had written a book called “Fed UP!” and it was released the week of the election. Some may say it sounds somewhat self-centered to have a book tour on the heels of a successful election campaign. This could not be further from the truth.
Prior to his book signing event in Houston, I was fortunate to have time privately speaking/listening with Governor Perry and another area blogger, Mark Robinson. What we encountered was a man who wants to get state rights back in line with what was written by the Founding Fathers. The intent of the book was clear. Governor Perry hopes to “wake up” more of the people about how we can resolve our current difficulties with the powers in Washington. This book gives him a “ticket” so to speak, to share his vision for state solutions with the media, conservatives, and others of influence. Indeed, this is a very clever idea
Having been released from the shackles of campaign fervor, he appeared renewed and refreshed. His demeanor could best be described as inspired. Clearly Governor Perry is on a mission to protect Texas and ensure it thrives in the midst of the Federal Government power grab. What I witnessed was an amazing thinker, who is striving to share a vision that could literally help to save our republic and save Texas.
The Governor began travel the day after the election. There was no rest for the weary. He has been busy articulating the importance of state rights and the tenth amendment at all the stops. Amidst the many interviews, the Governor was also a part of an important meeting with the new Majority Leader in the House. A group of Governors were contacted by Majority Leader, John Boehner for a meeting. The Governor indicated Mr. Boehner was pragmatic and aware innovative ideas would be the answer for a stronger future in America.
Governor Perry is known for being a solutions oriented individual. He articulated a strong belief in the power of allowing ideas to incubate in the states. Competition between the states benefits all Americans. Another key idea is a strong state healthcare solution in Texas which could save both Texas and the Federal Government billions of dollars. It was evident from the tone of conversation many months have been spent on surveying the landscape, and deriving potential hypotheses/solutions from the data. It is important to note here that the Texas Public Policy Foundation has engaged in research with the Heritage Foundation, Cato Institute, and the state of Utah Healthcare Solution among other sources to assist the Governor and Texas on the subject of healthcare. The Governor has been on a mission to find viable alternatives resulting in a better quality of the life for Texans and also assist the Federal Government in resolution of some of the debt.
Several observations were made during our time with the Governor. The burden of state debt on each Texas citizen is $520. In contrast, the burden of Federal debt on each Texas citizen is approximately $42,000! The difference is staggering. For many years the Federal Government has continued to expand it’s power. One of the worst examples of overreach is Social Security. Per the Governor, this is a Ponzi Scheme. This author finds it refreshing to hear a political leader acknowledge what many of us have known for decades. The Federal Government has tricked and swindled millions of Americans in an effort to grow their power. It is time to stop the madness.
The President’s debt commission is releasing a report this week suggesting the answer is to make the American taxpayer pay higher taxes with less benefits. Therein lies the problem. We have a delusional group in power in the Federal Government who assume they have the right to all the monies earned by the citizens. Governor Perry recognizes this is but a symptom of the real problem. The real problem is the Federal Government has overstepped it’s authority into the lives of Americans. Less Government is the solution which results in more liberty for every patriot.
This article is not a rah-rah about the Governor of Texas. I had just finished reading his new book, “Fed UP!”, and was looking forward to hearing more about his vision to return to a more prosperous, quality way of life. It is important we take note of strong leadership when it is found, in this day and age of challenges for our country. Leaving the meeting, I must admit to being energized and looking forward to the next chapter of history for our country. With leaders emerging in the midst of chaos, there is hope for a better tomorrow.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )
What a victory in Texas!
There is zero doubt about the inclinations of the good people of Texas. A very memorable beginning was the introduction of Jerry Patterson, The Commissioner of the General Land Office. The campaign commercial that advertised him was playing the song by Tom Petty “I won’t back down”. This appeared to reflect the sentiment of the crowd as everyone was singing along!
Jerry Patterson set the tone at the beginning of this Texas sized gathering. “People here are fiscally responsible, God-loving, small government, low tax, gun-toting, pro-life people.” Forgive the author if this is not exact, nor in perfect order, but this is what was said. The crowd went wild.
On the Congressional Front, it appears Texas will be replacing a few democrats in Congress. Here are the new Republican Congressional Representatives: Bill Flores, Francisco Canseco, and Blake Farennthold. People who will not be returning to Congress are Chet Edwards, Ciro Rodriguez, and Soloman Ortiz.
Attorney Greg Abbott scored an easy victory for another term in the state. He has done so much to fight the overreach of the Federal Government and Texans definitely appreciated the effort and the vote reflected their support. Attorney General Greg Abbott is a key component of the winning team in the Texas Government.
The Texas Comptroller, Susan Combs garnered an impressive 84.05% of the vote. Likewise Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst commanded a trimphant decisive lead.
The Republicans in the state house retained all their seats and picked up 21 more. This was far more than anticipated by the state conservatives.
What can be gleaned from this overwhelming endorsement for the leadership of Texas Texas? Governor Rick Perry is a leader. He loves Texas and has been driven to continue to find solutions which benefit Texans. We have all been blessed to be from a state which has excelled when others are struggling. After his acceptance, the Governor invited the team on the stage and the mutual respect was palpable. It is a strong conservative team.
What does this mean for the country? Texas has found what works. This state can definitely show the way to the other states. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. It is the spirit of patriotism and giving that lives in the hearts of Americans. Tonight those Americans took the first step in taking back the country.
In God we Trust and United we Stand!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )
This is the conclusion of the series on the Tenth Amendment Town Hall, which was held in Plano, Texas. This final segment covers the speeches given by Governor Rick Perry and by Judge Napolitano.
The capacity crowd at the Plano Centre had spent the morning together learning about legal options for the State of Texas and for the country. Now the audience would hear what the Governor thinks about the situation and what steps have been taken by his administration to protect our rights. The Governor took the stage and prepared to share his vision of where we are as a state and what is important for all of us.
Governor Perry began the discussion with what the majority of us have suspected for quite a long time. Washington wants to be all things to all people to get the votes. Why can’t they secure the borders? This is a fundamental need for the citizens of Texas and for the country, yet they show little to no interest in a resolution.
Our founding fathers believed in limited government. Do a few things really well was stated over and over in documents written by the founding fathers. What happens when government goes unchecked? Today the government is continuing to erode our dollars.
It is time to return to our values: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. The unique possibility of an individual to pursue the American Dream without the interference of the Federal Government is what our country is about. It is time for the Federal Government to be more respectful of the people.
The governor had some basic principles of governing which he shared with the audience:
- Don’t spend all the money!
- Have a legal system that doesn’t allow for excessive suing!
- Have a good educational system
- Government should get out of the way, and leave it to the people.
There is a reason to call for a balanced budget for the Congress. Fiscal Responsibility results in a good quality of life for all. Abuse of money and power never ends well for anyone. We have learned what works in Texas. Courageous men and women have done what was right in Texas. Supply side economics works as exhibited by the businesses of Texas. People will be sending a message at the polls – are we going to follow the Washington method of economics, or will we be following the Texas model of economics?
It is imperative that State Rights under the 10th amendment be asserted to preserve the constitution and the vision of our founding fathers for a strong republic. With those closing comments, the Governor introduced the keynote speaker of the event, Judge Napolitano.
The Judge took all of us on a journey through our American History. He helped each of us to understand how we have lost some of our state rights through the years. State rights have veered far away from the original intent as outlined in the constitution.
Can an amendment ever be unconstitutional? When the 17th amendment was added, it took away from state rights. This began the erosion of state rights.
The original constitution demanded no taxation. The Federal government changed the law so they could tax us. It began as a “small” tax and has been increasing exponentially year after year. The more money they get at the Federal level, the more they spend, and the more money they need to cover their wish list.
The Progressives choose power over freedom. During the time of Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt this was very clear. The greatest fear of the founding fathers was that the federal government should not have too much power. The aforementioned Presidents did much to instill the importance of power at the Federal Level. They also opened the door to entitlements and dependence.
Since the Civil War, the concept of power dominated over liberty. There was a shift in the priorities of the politicians. Each decade that followed the Civil War illustrated more of a focus on new priorities rather than life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness outlined in the Constitution.
The Feds have learned how to buy away the sovereignty of any state by dangling money with strings in front of any state. Why can the Federal government get away with bribing people, when individual would be locked up for the attempt to bribe people?
If the federal government continues to try to legislate every aspect of your lives, where does it end? None of this is in the constitution.
Take Patriot Act passage as an example of the dangers when we ignore the wisdom outlined in our US Constitution. After 9/11, this piece of legislation was deemed necessary to “protect citizens” from terrorism. However, it was really unconstitutional in the assumption of sweeping powers not outlined in the Constitution. Today we have learned an invaluable lesson with misuse of the Constitution. It is extremely unsavory in the hands of the progressives. That is why it is so important that we do not take chances by ignoring the constitution. We cannot predict how unscrupulous people may take advantage of inappropriate laws.
This concluded the remarks of the Governor and Judge Napolitano. What an amazing educational experience! A good idea for Texas and other states is to put similar events on for seniors in the high schools and also college students. Imagine a stadium of students learning invaluable information about our government over a 5 hour period of time. This is how we ensure a strong tomorrow for our country.
For your convenience, listed below are the links for Part I, II, and III of the series of articles.
10th Amendment Rights Townhall (Part 1)
10th Amendment Rights Townhall (Part 2)
10th Amendment Rights Townhall (Part 3)
My hope is the series has given ideas and assistance to citizens of Texas as well as other states that may be looking for answers, as the Federal Government continues to push for more control over the republic.
When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty. – Thomas Jefferson.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
10. The Governor and his team have worked tirelessly to create jobs and improve the working situation for countless Texans.
- Texas created more private sector jobs than any other state in the nation over the last 10 years and has the lowest unemployment rate among the 10 largest states in the nation.
- Texas created more jobs last year than all other 49 states combined.
- This is per the US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics Report.
9. Texas is very prosperous in comparison with other states.
- The Brookings Institute, which is known for being leftist, is admitting the top three economically strongest metro areas and six of the top twenty are in Texas
- Texas will be “last in, first out” among states battling the recession, although a recovery that has already started will require patience, states Ray Perryman, of The Perryman Group
- “He has consistently held the line on spending and worked hard to create a low-tax climate that has allowed people in the state of Texas to succeed and thrive. Other states and our nation’s federal government would do well to follow the example Governor Perry has set which has offered a promising and proven alternative to the one-size-fits-all spending mentality embraced by too many leaders in this country.” Said, Grover Norquist, President of Americans for Tax Reform
8. The Governor promotes traditional and alternative forms of energy. He is open to all viable solutions in the state.
- Texas has installed more wind power than any other state and all but four countries and is developing new transmission lines that will move more than 18,000 megawatts across the state – nearly as much as all other states’ current capacity combined.
- The Governor is against Cap and Trade, which would cripple Texas’ energy sector, irreparably damaging both the state and national economies and severely impacting national oil and gas supplies.
7. Governor Perry is a fiscal conservative.
- Investigation and scrutiny resulting in an endorsement by the Citizens Against Government Waste, one of the leading watchdogs of fiscal conservatism
- Texas is near the top of all the lists on prosperity
- He has consistently favored a balanced budget, which can be a challenge in times like these.
6. Perry was a strong advocate in the implementation of Torte Reform laws in Texas.
- Texas reforms limited non-economic damages in medical malpractice litigation, which alone lead to gains of $55.3 billion in spending per year and more than 223,000 jobs.
- These impacts are responsible for approximately 430,000 individuals having health insurance than would otherwise, and there has been an increase in the number of doctors, particularly in regions which have been facing severe shortages.
- Peggy Venable, a taxpayer watchdog wrote an important article on torte reform and noted the positive results of the Governor’s stand on torte reform
5. The Governor is committed to protecting the rights of landowners in Texas.
- Helped pass the strongest property rights protection in the state’s history through House Joint Resolution (HJR) 14
4. This is the third year in a row that Texas has topped the list for relocation in the US.
- Allied Van Lines’ 41st Annual Magnet States Report
3. There is a plan for Texas on how to fight Washington’s attempt to expand the Federal Government.
- Governor Perry spoke at the Texas Conservative Coalition’s Tenth Amendment Town Hall. The Governor discussed solutions to restore Texas’ constitutional rights and hold Washington accountable for its increasingly intrusive and fiscally irresponsible policies.
- Attorney General Greg Abbott spoke at the aforementioned event as well, and confirmed there are many efforts underway, that have been in motion since early 2009. These efforts are specific to state rights and were supported by the other constitutional experts who spoke at this event.
- The Tenth Amendment Townhall in Plano was a 5 hour educational event to familiarize Texans with the best way to fight the big government.
- All of the constitutional scholars at the event agreed nullification is not the appropriate tool to use at this time against the attempt to expand the Federal Government, the use of the 10th amendment is the best tool we have given the entire situation.
2. Governor Perry has focused on the border and put more people and technology to work on the problems at the border. This is a large problem the Federal Government is ignoring. People along the border and the experts have acknowledged he is working tirelessly to find ways to protect the people and property of Texas.
- Surge Operations. Since 2006, state-funded operations have committed resources to strategic areas. The result is an average of 65 percent reduction of all crime, including rape, murder, human trafficking and narcotics smuggling in our border communities.
- In 2009, the 81st Legislature reapproved funding for border operations. Over $110 million was allocated for the second consecutive session.
- Transnational Gang Initiative. In response to a rising tide of gang violence in Texas communities, Governor Perry secured funding for enhanced anti-gang efforts all across the state. February, 2009, Gov. Rick Perry sent a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. He requested the deployment of an additional 1,000 National Guard soldiers to the Texas-Mexico border. Gov. Perry reiterated his request and concerns in a letter to President Barack Obama on Aug. 21, 2009.
- Ranger Recon. Governor Perry launched the Ranger Recon security initiative, utilizing Ranger Reconnaissance Teams to tap the specialized criminal intelligence, and apprehension capabilities of the Texas Rangers Their task is to protect Texans who live in remote areas of the border and whose lives and property are threatened by criminals coming across the border.
- Requested the federal government reimburse the state of Texas for costs associated with detaining criminals in Texas jails who are undocumented immigrants (This is a huge cost for Texas).
1. Texas is at the top of many lists due to the leadership of Governor Perry.
Americans for Prosperity Reports: This is what is good in Texas
- Lawsuit Reform
- Balanced State Budget
- No State Income Tax
- Top Exporting State
- Top State for Business
- Most Fortune 500 Companies
- Most Job Creation
- Fastest-Growing State in the Country
The human being is not living that could satisfy every person’s wishes 100% of the time. I do not agree 100% with every decision made or action taken by the Governor. I do think based on the facts, his leadership and results are undeniable. None of these results happen by accident. My conclusion after looking at all of the facts is this: his leadership has resulted in Texas being in a far better position today than the majority of the other states. This is why a vote for Rick Perry is a vote for strong, experienced leadership.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 8 so far )
This past weekend I attended an event at the Taylor Center in Texas. The Katy Tea Party Patriots organized an event to help educate the public prior to the primary races in March. The lineup was quite impressive.
This candidate forum included the candidates for Congressional District 10, Congressional District 14, Harris County Republican Chair, and videos from the 3 GOP candidates for Texas governor.
Katy Tea has an effective audio that is “kicking off” the event as the people take their seats in the auditorium. It speaks to the importance of voting and being involved in the election to ensure the best candidates are elected for the people. The audio acknowledged the activities of the people, calling, faxing and rallying to make a difference. The call to action was unmistakable: Now is the time to educate ourselves on the candidates and vote!
The attention to detail for the event is very much apparent. The event is being streamed live on the internet by the Katy Tea Party Patriots. Cameras are set up everywhere due to the number of dignitaries participating in the event today. It is a large crowd of supporters packed into the auditorium for a full slate of candidate education on a Saturday afternoon. Christopher Telschow, was the moderator questioning the candidates. He did an excellent job and should be commended. Sam Malone made some introductions and comments as well. Sam is always a crowd pleaser with the patriot groups.
From this point, I will highlight a few key points on the candidates. These are simply my opinions. Please investigate the candidates further for additional information.
Harris Co. GOP Chair
This is a very visible, highly competitive race. The contenders are Ed Hubbard, Don Large, Jared Woodfill, and Paul Simpson. Don Large was not present for the event. After listening to all the responses, obvious differences emerged.
Ed Hubbard had actively worked within the GOP party for several years. He is knowledgeable about campaign finances and what he thinks needs to be done. His focus was on closing the credibility gap for the elected officials. He also believes it is important to reach out to the minorities. His downside was being a “Namedropper” to gain votes from the audience. He mentioned his “close work” with the tea parties several times and dropped names of local tea party leadership to emphasize that relationship.
Jared Woodfill is the incumbent. He stated an accomplishment of 3 out of 4 goals. Mr. Woodfill acknowledged the 2008 reality is GOP has been struggling to come out of the wilderness. The downside is he focused primarily on the current national issues to capitalize on the anger at grassroots level.
Paul Simpson spoke of the atrophy in the GOP and how it was losing ground.It is critical to grow the grassroots level organization. He began as an activist when he was 16. Mr. Simpson has years of experience outside the formal political arena and will hit the ground running. He brought forward a fresh, new approach in his answers.
In my opinion, Paul Simpson proved his case on several of the questions and in his remarks. He sealed the deal for many in the room, that he would be a great candidate for the Harris County GOP Chair.
Congressional District 14
John Gay: Mr. Gay is a veteran of US coast guard, 2 grown children, one of whom is in the war zone. Currently he serves as a school administrator. He is asking for the opportunity to represent the people and actively defend us from the “Gates of Hell” in Washington. John Gay was very clear that he is against the use of earmarks. He was able to articulate his positions, on the constitution, limited government, healthcare, and his foundational beliefs in right and wrong.
Ron Paul: Dr. Paul speaks a lot about financial crisis. He spent years in Congress, left, and came back thinking there was hope now that the tea Party movement has awakened the people. He is clearly the expert on the Federal Reserve. Dr. Paul based all of his answers and opening and closing statements around his focus on the Federal Reserve and getting rid of all of our military presence outside our borders. His comment was we needed to stop being aggressive. Dr. Paul gave an academic answer that the principle on earmarks was correct, but how they use it is incorrect.
Tim Graney: Tim Graney is a businessman in the Katy area. He has been active in the Tea Party Movement for quite some time prior to the announcement of his candidacy. His point on healthcare is the people can take a more proactive role in their own healthcare to assist in providing solutions. He believes it is time for a change in Washington to focus on all the issues. Tim Graney has several examples during his answers of a good knowledge of free markets and how to leverage that for the good of the country.
Gerald Wall: I must admit Gerald Wall had an impressive opening statement when he introduced a plan with specific points on what he will do if elected. He covered the border, and other key issues. Gerald Wall was a strong defender of the men and women in uniform. He provided the best rebuttal of the day with regard to whether we should have earmarks. His rebuttal was in response to Dr. Pauls’ comment (please see under Dr. Paul’s name). Gerald Wall stated that is how we got into this mess.
I found strength in all the competitors for this seat. In my opinion, Dr. Paul showed us nothing new after all these years. He is focused narrowly on a very few topics, some very extreme, and has succeeded in alienating most of the Congress with his agressive behavior. This is ironic since he accuses the US of exhibiting aggression via the establishment of military presence in other parts of the world.
- Best constituional speaker: John Gay
- Best speaker on free markets: Tim Graney
- Best speaker with a plan: Gerald Wall
- Speaker who best understands the Federal Reserve: Dr.Paul
- Speaker who made his case to be elected: John Gay
Next up, was a video of the 3 Gubernatorial Race answering one question. Greg Holloway, of Common Sense Texans, introduced this video and several others of these candidates on Youtube in near future. The candidates were asked to identify a mistake of action they might have done differently. The candidates were not informed ahead of the taping as to nature of the question.
1. Debra Medina can’t point to any one thing that may have been a mistake, really. There was a great deal of hesitation and awkward silence prior to speaking. She talks about her lawsuit against the GOP. She never thought it would go to court, that GOP would cave. There is no regret to go to court. She defends her reason for suing. Her argument is she and her lawyers were right, and it is not resolved. Constitutional convention was not handled per the guidelines. Again, on spontaneous off-script questions she doesn’t do as well (as exhibited in the Belo debate and Glenn Beck).
2. Rick Perry had very little hesitation and the governor answered it was not to marry his wife sooner. He said they had dated for 16 years and that was too long. There was laughter on that answer by the audience. He then moved on toward addressing this question in his professional life. His point was any big mistake is in the past: Rick Perry stated it is critical in this job to look forward to the future. Governor Perry stated there is a need to address the challenges in Texas, with 1,000 people moving to Texas daily. This impacts many parts of the infrastructure.
3. Kay Bailey Hutchinson could not point to anything that immediately came to mind as a big mistake. She did acknowledge there may have been some votes that she might have done differently. Mrs. Hutchinson appeared to be cool, calm, and collected when in these types of positions.
In the realm of spontaneous questions and thinking on their feet, consistently in this election season it has been Kay Bailey Hutchinson and Rick Perry who have this skillset.
Congressional District 10
Joe Petronis: Mr. Petronis, the challenger, is focused on state rights. His initial statement involved McCaul and all that he felt was wrong about the Congressman and his record. Joe does not believe McCaul has been fiscally responible. One of his points was the belief our borders should be secured in a very specific way. Military should be brought back from foreign countries and mandated to protect the border. I wonder why he is unaware that there are laws mandating how the military are used, and this is not one of the acceptable usages? Clearly Joe is emerging as a “Ron Paul lite” in his ideas and aggressive manner of focusing on attacking his opponents.
McCaul begins his opening statement regarding he is upset when people misrepresent the record he has earned. He then turned his attention to the very difficult problems in Washington and had a mention of Pelosi being a huge part of their problem. McCaul supports a balanced budget amendment. The public knows where he stands, there are no surprises as he has been vocal and consistent all year. In fact, Congressman McCaul has been visible and involved in the key issues as seen on C-Span, unlike Dr. Paul.
Michael McCaul clearly won this round based on overall knowledge of the issues and what he supports as “winning ideas”.
This event was a great service to the public. Kudos to Katy Tea Party!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )